Thursday, May 15, 2003

Good to Go

I received the official word last night from my presbytery -- I can now resume building my practice as a kinesionics practitioner.

My career was halted in its tracks because some in my church were feeling decidedly nervous about my chosen calling. A fifteen minute search on the Internet had turned up several articles from Christian "heresy hunters" who claimed that energy therapy of any kind was a form of the occult arts. Red flags were waved and so things came to a screeching halt while I prepared a paper for my elders on the theory that lies behind most energy therapies and a positive position that demonstrated that this was indeed a lawful form of therapy (though one that hasn't received the "validation" of triple blind, peer-reviewed clinical trials).

Just a few comments on this whole episode. First, many Christians fall into the genetic fallacy trap. I happened to read a few articles on one prominent "psycho heresy" website that in a number of articles condemned various practices because they had their origins in non-Christian cultures. This would be like saying we must not drive cars because someone discovered that Henry Ford was a Satanist. (He wasn't, as far as I know.) This mindset implicitly denies common grace. It seems to believe that the only people who can make discoveries or contribute to progress are Christians. But God has revealed much in general revelation through many non-Christians.

Secondly, I found the whole trial to be rather annoying at times, but ultimately for my good. Because of the research I had to do, I now have a far better understanding of how things work and why. Not only that, I can see the overlap between various schools of healing and can see where they either do the same things in a different way, or complement one another.

It hasn't quite sunk in yet that I am now free of the dreadful burden of being accused of practicing occult arts. But I do know that it is great relief to be able to pursue my studies free from this encumberance.

If there is enough interest in this post, I may publish bits and pieces about energy therapies in general. I'm probably a real anomaly in this field -- a die-hard Calvinistic, Presbyterian Covenanter who does things normally associated with being done only by New Agers.

No comments: