Saturday, July 05, 2003

Cheap Medicine

When the year 2000 phobia had many of us in its grip, I acquired a book that I have come to really love. It is called, The Herbal Medicine Chest by Debra St. Clair. It is not a book about herbs and their properties. Rather it is a book about how to prepare these herbs into medicines once you have them. So far this week I have made an antiseptic throat gargle, slippery elm lozenges, and black cherry cough syrup. And they work quite nicely, thank you!

Herbal medicine is cheap, but it still costs money or time to acquire the herbs and then concoct with them. So what is the cheapest medicine available? My hands.

Or the hands of others. The other day I crunched my finger hard between two stools. After muttering incoherent sounds of anguish at the top of my voice, I noticed that my finger was beginning to swell and turn blue. I grabbed my son Nathanael and had him hold his hands on each side of the offended digit until we felt the electrical energy stop pulsing (meaning it had balanced out). It stopped hurting immediately and was back down to normal size within the hour. You can't even see any bruising two days later.

[For those wondering if I am into witchcraft, I will state categorically that I am NOT. I am a Calvinistic, Presbyterian Covenanter with no interest in the black arts. All I did in the example above was utilize the electrical energy system produced by our body to heal my finger.]

How about a cheap and fast way to relieve ear ache pain when your child is awake in the middle of the night? I used the tapping procedure called EFT the other night on my daughter Bethany. Earlier in the evening she had awakened me with a raging ear infection. I gave her tylenol and sent her back to bed. An hour later she was back howling outside my door and screaming inconsolably. So, I tried EFT. In three rounds of tapping the pain was gone and she went to bed and slept the rest of the night. In addition, she wasn't troubled with it anymore though she still had a cold.

I also used EFT to help a woman with back pain from an old injury. In several rounds of tapping, her pain, which was constant, was gone.

BTW, if you visit the EFT website, I don't endorse everything on it. There is plenty of false worldview stuff you need to sift through.

No comments: