Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Tribute

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints.
Psalm 116:15
Yesterday, my brother in the Lord, Grant Soles, passed from this life into the presence of the Lord. He will be sorely missed.
As the flame of his life burned lower, his love of Christ and testimony of God's grace shone brighter and brighter. I spoke with him several weeks ago and at the time he was reading a book on the doctrine of assurance of salvation, and his words were both an inspiration and a comfort to me, especially as I could see he was taking them to heart. Those same words come to mind to comfort even as I mourn, though not without hope. You see, Grant is Christ's and so am I, so we will meet again one day.
Grant leaves behind a rich legacy of a faithful wife and five daughters who have all manifested that they too share in the same Fountain of Life from which Grant drank. One of his most outstanding characteristics was his humble approach to people. Life had taught him some hard lessons, but rather than becoming bitter, or being too proud to learn from them, they humbled him and raised him to a closer dependance upon the Lord. These lessons were ones he was quick to share with others that they might learn from his example. It takes a big heart to acknowledge faults and mistakes so that others might profit from what you have learned. It is a rare grace to see someone say, "It was good for me that I was afflicted."
Grant didn't compromise the truth and was most bold in declaring it, yet it was a boldness born of a desire to be pleasing in God's sight and out of love for those with whom he spoke.
The trial through which Grant just passed, was a firery trial, yet it wrought pure gold in him. The increase in his faith in God and the sanctification it worked in his soul was beautiful to behold. Should I ever be called upon to experience something similar, I pray that God grants me the same grace.
To quote my beloved pastor, Greg Price, "Grant's race here upon earth is finished. Ours continues. Let us run the race that is laid up before us with patience and perseverance ever trusting in Christ , the author and finisher of our faith."
Farewell for now, dear brother.

No comments: