Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Foster Mother?

It appears that I am destined to be a foster mother at least for the time being. I find this a rather ironic turn of events given the history of what my eldest girls did when they left home.

The young hitch-hiker that my husband picked up went down to Vancouver with us last weekend. Then he came back with us because no one wanted him there. So now he is with us.

I confess that I am a reluctant foster mother. I really thought I already had enough on my plate with homeschooling 7 of our 9 kids at home, doing my practicum for my biokinesionics course, writing lessons for my weight loss program, and preparing for a seminar in Alabama. Now, I have to add learning the fine art of psychological terrorism of spoiled teens in an effort to introduce him to the real world. Cole already had a taste today when I made him go to the school district office to figure out how to get into school. I let him flounder for a while and then went in and helped out with some of the details. It is looking likely that he will be doing correspondance for this semester. Ugh. I would have preferred to send him on the bus to school because it would mean that he would be getting up early and be out the door and gone for most of the day and I wouldn't have to deal with him at least for that portion of time. But that is not likely to happen now. [sigh]

On the other hand, maybe he needs to be here to learn a bit of self-discipline and to hear the Gospel. He asks intelligent questions during family worship and seems to pay attention at the Bible Studies and during corporate worship. I guess time will tell us what kind of impact we are to make in his life.

No comments: