Wednesday, October 30, 2002

My Vacation

Well, ok, it was really only a weekend, but that is the first vacation away that I have had since I don't know when. Marc and I went down to Vancouver so he could attend a seminar and I could kick back and have a rest. While Marc was at the seminar, I occupied my time by playing with Elodie, watching TV and CONTROLLING THE REMOTE in the motel room, wandering the streets of Vancouver, and browsing through the books in Chapters, an enormous book store which is part of a chain. I also sampled a dessert from Death by Chocolate, and sipped on various fancy decoctions from Starbucks. Almost heaven. I also got a chance to spend some time with some old friends that I knew when I lived in the area.

Vancouver is an interesting city. We were right down in the heart of it. Prince George is 500 miles north and is considerably chilly right now with a skiff of snow today. Yet in Vancouver, they had impatiens and pansies blooming away right in the heart of the city. Wild. There were also street people to be seen sleeping on the sidewalks downtown, next to their shopping carts filled with old bags. At one point Elodie and I were out for a walk and a street person approached me and asked for some spare change. When I responded that I didn't have any to spare, he looked thoughtfully at Elodie for a few moments and then recommended I get some plastic to keep her dry (it was drizzling out).

Another interesting event was coming to a street corner only to find myself in the middle of a bunch of flaming sodomites, one of whome was dressed in a feather boa, high heels, a black furry skirt and a bouffant hairdo and nothing else. I think he even shaved his legs. He was about 8 feet tall when you included the hair do and shoes. I crossed to the other side of the street quickly.

No comments: