Saturday, January 24, 2004

Tribute to a Queen Amongst Friends

My Friend
by Vida I. Poutz

"This is my friend," I heard her say,
And in her voice I heard
A certain something then relay
That friend is no small word.

It seemd to pack a sort of pride;
She wanted all to know
She had someone to stand beside,
Someone in time of woe.

I heard her say, "This is my friend,"
And that encompassed all --
Someone on whom you can depend
To answer any call,

A certain sort of bond that held
Through trouble and through strife,
Two common spirits closely bound
In friendship all through life.

Deep inside a glow began
And spread to warm my heart --
A feeling of deep gratitude
For making me a part.

When she said, "This is my friend,"
I knew she meant it too,
For in my heart she'd always held
A space reserved for few.

Through the years true friends are made;
You cannot beg or buy one.
But life has ways of sorting out,
And life has tricks to try one.

As I look back, she always rose
Far up above the rest,
And when she said, "This is my friend,"
I knew I'd stood the test.

No comments: