Thursday, March 18, 2004

This and That

~It is amazing how large a chunk of time is used up in a day when you have to go out to chiropracter's appointments. After several weeks of appointments, the girls' backs have made significant improvement so the frequency of visits is slowing down some.

~Today it is half snowing/half raining and it is gross. My mudroom will soon be living up to its name.

~ Give kids the basic tools of learning and then let them loose to learn. I never used to be an unschooler, but I am leaning more and more that way. When kids are learning for a purpose, rather than just because they are told they need to know "xyz" in grade "x", their learning is accelerated and more lasting. My eldest son is reading Calvin's Institutes,but has also educated himself thoroughly in the last several weeks on the intricacies of buying a used car. I am forcing him to learn algebra and I don't know why. Well, actually, I do. "Everyone" says that you need it. Nuts to "everyone." I haven't used algebra since I took it in highschool, and I bet you haven't either unless you are an engineer. You know what I really want? A good highschool level consumer math course that teaches kids practical math stuff like how to calculate mortgage rates and figure out ways to keep money out of the clutches of Revenue Canada. If they need to know more beyond that because of career requirements, they are smart enough to pick it up on their own. They have the basics. Let them learn the other stuff when it is relevant and therefore meaningful.

~In an effort to help conserve the money my sweetie works so hard for, I cleaned out my freezer before making my grocery list. I found:

+ a total of 6 packages of frozen ground beef, each package weighing about 3 or 4 lbs.
+ three whole turkeys and 9 packages of turkey necks, wings, and drumsticks for making soup with
+ two packages of beef soup bones
+ blueberries I had thought were lost [Yeah! now I can have a protein shake!]
+ numerous packages of frozen, chopped peppers that I cut up for tossing in pots of chili
+ several packages of phyllo pastry that have seen better days. I can't even remember why I bought them.
+ bags of green beans that were covered in freezer burn.
+ a bag of cauliflower that is at least five years old.
+ two wild salmon with an expression of perpetual surprise frozen on their faces, no doubt put there by finding themselves so far from the ocean.
+ ummm. A placenta. hmmm. I think I'll plant a new tree this spring when the ground thaws. :oP Anyone for stew?

I also scooped up several dustpans full of frozen peas and assorted berries that had escaped their respective bags and made their way to the bottom of the freezer. Lots of stuff was covered in sticky brown frozen syrup from frozen over ripe bananas that the kids had neglected to seal tightly in their bags.

You will all be happy to know that my freezer is now clean and tidy and organized once more. And the placenta is safely stowed in a special place so I won't mistakenly cook it up as liver. I feel so accomplished!

No comments: