Monday, May 10, 2004

My Favorite Things

It is always gratifying to find people who share some of the same interests that you do. Sora mentioned on her blog that "I think perhaps I have been misleading myself for years when I have told myself that I do not consider shopping a recreational activity. While I would come up with just about any excuse to avoid "going to the mall," I enjoy library booksales, a good wool store... and plant sales." Substitute "fabric store" for "wool store" and you have me pegged.

The consequence is that I tend to avoid these stores because it is hard to control my impulses there. Used book stores, and library sales are way more fun than new book stores. You get way better deals on books that have been loved on and which breathe the atmosphere of that love. Some of the most enjoyable times of my life have been spent in quaint used book stores, breathing in the atmosphere that only old books exude. When I am there, I feel a sort of instant relaxation in my soul, because I am among old friends.

Not far from where I live is a large Art Knapp's Plantland. This time of the year is a dangerous time for me. All the seedlings are out for sale, and a walk amongst the luxuriant foliage is too much for my pocketbook to withstand.

Same deal with fabric stores. You walk in and there are reams and reams of fabric and tons of patterns, all waiting to be turned into something beautiful.

I think the largest part of the attraction is that all of these places represent potential to me in some form. Books have the potential of learning something new, plants have the potential of beauty when they flower, or food when they fruit, and fabric stores have the potential of expressing creativity in clothing or furnishings. All three appeal to the desire to take dominion in the sphere in which I have been placed.

No comments: