Monday, September 16, 2002

An Eventful Weekend

Never a dull moment. We had a guest from England this past weekend: a medical doctor interested in our presbytery and wanting to meet some of our families. There was some fear amongst those who know me well that he would sustain some sort of injury in my home, due to my well known antipathy to most forms of allopathic medical care. He survived the ordeal with nary a scratch, bite or bruise. My mother taught me that guest are sacrosanct and not to be beat upon. Actually, I had a very pleasant visit with him and I hope he had one too.

We also had a Japanese comic on a bicycle come to see us. He is from Tokyo and is a unique character. His bicycle was equipped with a custom made bike rack for holding his carbon guitar. He also carried an amplifier for his guitar which weighed about 60 kg. He said he was often tempted to chuck it off the bike when in the mountains! I don't blame him. Yuki entertained us with flamenco music, country and western, old Elvis Presley tunes, The Entertainer by Scott Joplin, traditional Japanese music and music from Italy. He also kept the children entertained with magic tricks. Saturday night everyone watched Lord of the Rings on the tv while Chris and I locked ourselves in the sunroom in a vain attempt to carry on a conversation over the sounds of battles being fought in the dwarves caverns.

Sunday afternoon brought the news that one of my daughters had been in a car accident. She got a broken arm and concussion but was otherwise unhurt. Her friend didn't do so well. She ended up in icu with a torn liver, perforated stomach and bowel, and pneumonia. I had warned Trista of this girl's dangerous driving and unreliability. Now she has learned yet again that my friend Marjory was right all along. Marjory's favorite saying: "Life is rough, life is tough, and life is full of surprises. And the first thing life teaches you is.... your mother is always RIGHT."

No comments: