Friday, September 06, 2002

Maybe I am discovering a reason why so many doctors in the medical profession seem to be so hard-hearted and coldly clinical. Working with people and their ills brings you face to face with mortality: theirs and yours. Being impersonal and clinical puts up a shield against such thoughts and keeps you from breaking your heart over the pain others feel.

We are born decayed and decaying, but if we have reasonably good health, a lot of us can ignore this fact for a long time. When you finally do face it, it can be quite a shock.

I was supposed to build what is called an "anchor" in neuro-linguistic programming, to keep out distracting thoughts and distress over others when I work on them, and to bring feelings of tranquility. I have yet to put it to the test, but I wonder if it will really be effective. Will I be able to be compassionate and yet not lose my perspective? I should ask my nurse-sister how she does it.

No comments: