Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Proverbs, Assurance of Salvation and Progress in Sanctification

There are some interesting things happening in me. Things that I know are not of me, but rather, are evidence of the Holy Spirit's work in my life.

Last night for family worship, the children and I listened to a tape from Dr. Bahnsen on Proverbs 3:11,12: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD. Nor detest his correction; for whom the LORD loves he corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights." I realized as I listened to the sermon that I am truly grateful for the trials that I was brought through in the past three years. It was as though God was spanking me and telling me, "Okay Cheryl, time to grow up."

Here is some of the peaceable fruit of righteousness that has been wrought in me as a result: I used to struggle all the time with assurance of salvation. But I KNOW that I am Christ's now! I could kiss the rod that has been the means of my correction. I love fellowshipping with the saints. God's Word is precious to me. Some of this use to be doubtful, but no more. I also believe the promises of God more fully. This makes me pray with confidence. Last night after we listened to the sermon, I closed in prayer, full of confidence that God would use the means and make them effectual in the life of my children and family. My faith is not so much in the promises, but in seeing beyond them to the Promiser. The promises of God are becoming as real to me as my hands.

Is this something that Cheryl can take the glory for? No way! I know what I am. I know what I am capable of -- nothing, or nothing good. This is all of God and this unprofitable servant gives Him all the glory.

No comments: