Wednesday, November 06, 2002

YIKES!

I did the grocery shopping today and didn't buy anything extravagant. Just basic foodstuff like meat and veggies. I can't even bring myself to type what the total was when I added all the bills together. And I will count myself blessed if we manage to make it all the way through to next week without having to buy anything additional.It is a hard job to feed a family stuff you know is good for them without resorting to cheaper but destructive foods like pasta and lots of bread.

After I figured out how bad the damage was, I sat all the children down and told them the figure for what it cost us this week to feed them. I impressed upon them that because of the cost of feeding them, the least they could do for their father and I was to cooperate with us in not wasting the food, and to not grumble over chores or do them sloppily. I guess it is too much to expect children to feel gratitude towards their parents for feeding and housing them while they are growing up, but I think it is a good thing to try and instill in them for what they receive and so often take for granted.

No comments: