Wednesday, November 20, 2002

There's No Place Like Home, Toto

I just got back the day before yesterday from visiting friends in Alabama and Georgia.

You know something? Despite the fact that there is virtually a church on every corner in the South, it appears to me that many people have actually been inoculated against Christianity and that college football is a bigger draw than Christ. I spoke to some Christians who were willing to miss church on Sunday because they had been up late the night before at a football game and post game party. They were part of a very large group of people who do this. Of course, I didn't meet everyone in Alabama, so maybe I am being unfair.

Some other observations -- it doesn't appear that 9/11 did much to humble Americans and cause them to repent. There was a definite arrogant and swaggering tone to the newscasts that dealt with an impending war with Iraq. Some people whom I questioned about this responded, "We trust President Bush." I'm with Frank on this one (I think) -- war with Iraq would be nothing less than corporate murder by the US.

I was totally shocked at the food prices! In Canada, I can buy a fresh bunch of radishes for 39 cents CANADIAN. The same bunch cost 99 cents in the US! A single lemon was 99 cents compared to the 32 cents I pay. How in the world do you folks manage to feed your families? And without gardens no less! Those in Alabama could easily grow food year round but I didn't see anyone doing any significant gardening, at least not in Montgomery. Most of our fresh produce in the winter comes from California, so when you factor in transport, and exchange rate, I am really and truly puzzled why you folks have to pay so much when you are so close to the source of the food.

On a more positive note -- southern hospitality is not an empty phrase. Everywhere I went I was greeted with smiles and friendliness, from complete strangers. One fast food joint I went into, the staff kept smiling at me, even after I had made my purchase and was moving away from them. And when I looked back, they smiled again when I caught their eye.

I also found the brick homes and buildings to be very charming and comfortable looking. The little subdivisions of brick homes were so attractive, especially when compared to what we have in our subdivisions in Canada. Canadians just don't have the knack of building attractive and cute homes like the Americans do.

Overall, I had a wonderful time while there, but there is no place like home, Toto.

No comments: