Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Evil Accreditation?

The other day I wrote a blog about a solution I may have for my homeschooling difficulties. A lady (I presume, from references to quilting) commented that she found it strange that I would consider public schools a den of iniquity but yet would be happy to use a program that receives recognition from the civil government in the form of a diploma.

I have been turning this one over in my mind for a couple of days. Is recognition from the civil magistrate automatically evil? Do we look with suspicion upon the degrees and diplomas given to doctors, nurses, lawyers, and other professions who were educated in godless universities? Or is the diploma a recognition that a particular set of knowledge was achieved regardless of where it was achieved?

In the particular home e-school I am considering, the curriculum is a Christian curriculum and the government recognizes that what is taught in it is comparable or at least as good as what is being taught in the government schools. I can't see how this could be bad. Enlighten me if you think I need it.

No comments: