Sunday, April 11, 2004

This is a Puzzler

"But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? You observe days and months and seasons and years. I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain." Galatians 4:9-11

The epistle to the Galatians was written to correct the Church in Galatia from going back to the "weak and beggarly elements" of the Old Covenant worship. Not only was Paul talking about no further need for circumcision, but also the OT holy days, months, seasons, and years. These things all pointed forward to Christ and once Christ had come and fulfilled their types, they became redundant. Paul says to these Christians, in effect, don't do it. Don't circumcise, don't celebrate Passover, the Year of Jubilee or any of these other elements.

So why do some Christians insist of observing a "Christian" passover feast? Scripture knows of no such feast after Christ's resurrection.

Another thing I find puzzling and disturbing is the new superstition amongst some Protestants regarding the communion elements. I know of one father who will take his children to whichever church he can find that will serve communion to all his children right down to the infant. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in a covenantal view of children, but it appears to me that for a father to deliberately expose his children to the negative sanctions attached to the Lord's Table before they are ready is to view the elements of the Lord's Table with a high degree of superstitious belief as to this means of grace. And I won't even get into the discussion of fencing the Table or occasional communing aspects of it.

Sometimes the current state of the Church makes me wish I liked stout or whiskey. A good stiff shot is sometimes called for.

No comments: