Friday, April 30, 2004

The Writing on My Palace Walls

I need to clear a few things up. Several people have commented on my post concerning schooling and wondered aloud who was giving me hassles. The answer is: No One. All the hassling has come from my "palace walls."

"Palace wall" is a metaphor for the internal dialogue and tapes that we all play in our heads. These are the messages that have been written into our lives by others, or which we write there ourself. They encompass things like, "real mothers don't feed their babies formula," or "real Christian women love to homeschool." Your writing might contain things like "Money is evil" and "I need money to live." This can create internal conflicts when you have contradictory messages playing at the same time in your head. The result is comparable to driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake: Lots of noise and spinning tires, but not a lot of progress. Basically, you were all witnesses to what happens when I yell at my walls in public. [blushes]

I have a lot of conflicting good mother/bad mother messages on my walls. Some of them need erasing and others need to be written in larger brighter colors that I can't miss.

No comments: