Saturday, January 11, 2003

Academia

Yesterday I attended a free public lecture on genome research at UNBC. I strolled through the halls of learning carrying my purse and a diaper bag while my 13 yo son, Trahern, followed in my wake with Elodie. She sat part way through the lecture and then had to be taken out by Trahern so as not to disturb everyone. They spent the rest of the lecture at the Tim Horton's coffee shop making a mess with a bagel.

The lecture was interesting but I am not going to bother to describe it.

If I hadn't become a wife and mother, I could have happily spent my days in academia as either a perpetual student or a professor. There is something in the very atmosphere of schools, colleges and universities that invigorates me. So much to learn!

I took some post secondary courses through Malaspina College when I was first married, but other than that, it has been only the odd course here or there, or correspondance coursework. Most of my free time is spent in reading, researching, and writing, particularly in the field of health. It turns my crank to learn. I feel physically good when I am reading or studying. I think it causes my endorphins to surge or something.

No comments: