Saturday, January 11, 2003

Tolkein Talk

I never did do a review of The Two Towers movie, but I went and enjoyed it thoroughly. I intend to see it a second time when I take some of my kids to it. I can hardly wait til the summer or fall when the DVD is released. If they put out an extended version, that is the one I'll be buying.

We own the extended DVD version of The Fellowship of the Rings. I think I enjoyed all the behind the scenes stuff as much as I did watching the actual movie. If I were going to work on the LOTR movies, I would have wanted to work in the WETA workshop designing and making various props.

One of the things that I found most fascinating was the design and construction of the costumes. They were works of art. I tend to be very utilitarian in my view of clothing. But clothing can be very beautiful and evocative of certain values of modesty, beauty and function in an artform that we wear. We ought not to wear beautiful clothing as a form of giving ourselves airs, but we should wear it as an expression of being creatures made in the image of God.

No comments: