Monday, January 20, 2003

Things that Thrill...

I went to the bookstore today to buy a book on Quantum Physics and had a hard time settling on which one to get. I finally ended up with "Quantum Reality" by Nick Herbert. And I just couldn't pass up on two other books: "The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World" by Paul Davies and "Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief" by Andrew Newberg, M.D., Eugene "Aquilli, M.D., Ph.D., and Vince Rause. These last two complement another book I am reading by Dr. Herbert Benson -- "Timeless Healing: The Power and Biology of Belief." (Unbeknowst to me, the store was having a sale of 20% off of everything in the store, with the exception of the bargain bins. Yippee! The thrill of good books on sale!) It is a fascinating study to find more evidence of our Creator at work in the very biology of how our brains work when we believe in Him. It is literally hard-wired into our brains to believe. Kind of gives one a different perspective on Romans 1:18.

And speaking of Dr. Benson, I found another book of his that I wanted on the bargain table for $5 -- "The Relaxation Response." Now here is a thought -- if our thoughts are capable of causing a stress reaction in the body of higher blood pressure, the release of norephinephrine and epinephrine, the speeding up of heart, respiration, and metabolic rates, etc., then why can't we do the opposite with our thoughts -- slow down the heart/respiration/metabolic rate and lower our blood pressure. Well it turns out that we can. But doing this is considered suspect by many Christians.

Here is something else that I ponder (and the reason why I buy books on quantum theory): Why is it that we consider it normal and not occultic when animals display forms of telepathy -- like dogs knowing when a master is returning home, or sensing when an owner wants to commit suicide and then displays signs of comforting -- yet it is occult or pyschic, or paranormal if people display these same capabilities?

Another thing that thrills me -- buying stationery. I love buying empty notebooks and paper, pens, markers, pencils, and erasers. They represent the potential of creativity and the enjoyment of learning and figuring.

I love to write longhand. Calligraphy was one thing I concentrated on when I studied art for three years under a master in high school. There is a positive pleasure in seeing letters well-formed with artistically placed scrolls and flourishes. Unfortunately, most of my work requires the speed and convenience of word processing and I can't afford the luxury of the hand written word too often. But when I do have the time, I love to indulge myself with different colored inks and a variety of styles.

How's that for a disjointed post?

No comments: