Friday, March 11, 2005

I Have ADD

At least that is the prognosis of a friend of mine who is experienced in this field. I have to admit that I was greatly surprised and didn't believe him initially, but upon more mature reflection, I can see his point.

I have always thought ADD/ADHD manifested as an inability to focus on one thing for very long and being really scatty and hyper. However, it can also manifest as the ability to focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else. This might explain why my kids frequently have to block the computer screen bodily or close my book on me while trying to get my attention and yelling, "MOM!MOM!" at the same time. And here I thought I just had super powers of concentration.

This goes a long way towards explaining one of my major frustrations with homeschooling. I am a project-oriented person and like to focus on one project at a time, doing a good job on it, until it is brought to completion. When I am having to jump from subject to subject, and grade level to grade level, I never can really see that anything got done or done well. That is why I recently switched to just doing one or two subjects at a time per day. Then I feel like we have made measurable progress and I don't feel so scatty, and I am able to be more thorough in teaching and checking everyone's work.

You know, I don't remember having this problem when I was in school. Maybe it was because the projects were imposed on me by others, and consisted only in getting done what was required in that particular subject for that particular class and so the projects were completed in a short period of time. Physically moving from one class to the next may have provided the break in continuity that was needed in order to switch gears for the next class. Or it could be that I have developed ADD like tendencies as the children came along. I have noticed a distinct tendency for my brain to shut off and the placenta to take over when I am pregnant. Some friends of mine are also convinced that women lose brain cells out their nipples when they nurse. Perhaps there is where my multi-tasking brain cells went: into the children.

At any rate, I am going to start doing some Brain Gym activities on a daily basis and hope to regain some focus. ...Err, I mean multi-tasking abilities. Maybe this will short circuit the frustration that constant interruptions usually nets me.

No comments: