Thursday, March 10, 2005

On Peeling Onions

I got to thinking the other day after experiencing some freedom from a rather perplexing problem that I had been struggling with, if it might not be a good idea to take a systematic approach to ridding myself of other things that have been nagging me for years. Accordingly, I have identified four areas of my life that need some work.

I bought myself some markers and gel pens and a new notebook for taking down notes on these four areas, but when it came time to actually write in the notebook, I found it didn't feel right. Instead, I got some large sheets of paper and on each sheet I have written in the middle of it the particular topic that I am working on in the color that I thought best represented it.

Last night I started work on the one sheet and I am developing almost a mind map/collage with a variety of colors for each topic and even some drawings but more detail than you usually find in most mind maps. I decide which color feels most like what I am writing/drawing about, and then use it to right a few representative thoughts. Very right-brained, but it feels good to get some of this stuff down and think about it in some respects. I won't be scanning it to share with you, but I have to tell you, that self examination is not completely fun, especially if the purpose of the exercise is to focus on things that are your area of weakness. I imagine it will be even less fun during the Judgement when we really get to see what it is we have been saved from!

Rather than making the whole exercise a totally negative thing, I have also been thinking of making a mindmap/collage of all the blessings I have. I'll let you know if this has been a productive exercise or a complete waste of time when I am through.

No comments: