Monday, August 16, 2004

Another One Flies from the Nest

Our son, Nathanael announced the other night that he was leaving home. He’ll be 18 in less than a month and he feels the time has arrived for him to try his wings and see if he can make it on his own.

I have seen this coming for some time. He has been talking about leaving home for the past year or more and speculating on what he will need in the way of housewares and asking tentatively if he could take his bed or other furniture with him. Even though I was semi-prepared I was hoping that he would delay for at least another year and would finish up a few things that I thought he would need by way of preparation for life. But no, it is time to go.

Remember Dawn? I mentioned her a few posts back as a member of my Fan Club. Her son is Nathanael’s best friend and he is boarding with Stefan and his family. They live in town, closer to where he works and all the amenities that aren’t in reach out in the country. It is a good place to be. Dawn and Ivan are responsible people and I know he will be safe there, well looked after, and held accountable. Dawn and Ivan are also on the same page as we as far as the kind of expectations we have for our kids. I suspect that this is one of the reasons why I can face this with as much equanimity as I have.

Is it ever easy to see a child leave the paternal home? The end goal of all the time and expense we pour into our children is so that they will mature to the point of being able to live on their own and establish themselves creditably in the world. But I can’t help but feel a pang as he leaves. At least he has promised to continue coming to church with us. I don’t care if my kids don’t make a splash in the world as far as prestige goes. As long as they serve God, they can dig ditches for all I care.

No comments: