Friday, August 27, 2004

A Farewell to Summer

The signs are all in place for the end of summer. Yesterday I drove the kids and several of their friends on our yearly pilgrimage to Barkerville, a historic Gold Rush town that is now a restored heritage site in British Columbia. The deciduous trees have that brassy tired look to them, as they wait for the needed signal from the first frost to start unloading the weight of their leaves. I was struck afresh at how beautiful this country is, "where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile." At the same time, this country is showing signs of wear and tear. The rolling hills were dotted with the rusty red of dead pines that were savaged by the Mountain Pine Beetle. It was interesting but chilling to see at the same time. It would take very little to ignite a raging forest inferno. So far we don't have any dead pines on our property, but I don't know how long that will last. I know this, any dead pines will be taken out to lessen the chances of being burned out of our home by a forest fire.

Another sign that summer is coming to an end is the phone calls I am now getting concerning setting up the kids' curriculum and learning plans. I have come into a bit of a windfall and the children will all be able to take music, art, and swimming lessons or karate classes. This thrills me to no end though it means a lot more running around. I may be able to get a proper keyboard and a guitar and we will finally be able to learn more than just the basics. I am hoping to learn to play the guitar along with the kids. The extras are what is making me look forward to homeschooling in a way that I haven't in eons.

I usually just endure summer the way I endure winter, living mostly for spring and fall when I feel like I am truly alive. But something is different this year and I don't know why. I am sorry to see summer go and I really did enjoy it, even the heat. Maybe I am growing up and learning contentment in every season of the year.

No comments: